Community Foundation Takes Proactive Measures in COVID-19 Crisis
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama – The Community Foundation of Greater Huntsville announced today it will be proactively implementing measures to protect the health of its board, committee, and team members, as well as supporting relief efforts for the growing public health crisis affecting our community. Melissa Thompson, CEO and President of the Community Foundation of Greater Huntsville shares, “We know that many in our community are dealing with unprecedented challenges right now. Small businesses are struggling, employees are cutting back on hours, and we’re all taking extra precautions to protect our family’s and our community’s health. As the situation evolves, please know that the team at the Community Foundation stands ready to help. We live in a great community, and when our community struggles, we all want to pitch in.”
Even in times of crisis, the Community Foundation remains committed to helping donors be generous, whatever that may look like for them. One of the organization’s core values is the belief that together we can make a difference. Now more than ever, this community can use the power of generosity to provide charitable resources for those serving to provide for healthcare and basic needs in our area.
Two response efforts to the COVID-19 crisis:
- Individuals, families, and companies can support local nonprofit COVID-19 response efforts by supporting the Community Foundation’s Emergency Relief Fund. This fund was created following the tornado outbreak of April 27, 2011 and has been reactivated to accept donations to alleviate the current public health crisis. To donate to the Emergency Relief Fund, click HERE. Donors with donor advised funds can support this fund with a grant from their fund.
- Additionally, the Community Foundation is accepting Emergency Relief Fund grant applications from local nonprofit organizations who are on the front line of this crisis providing basic needs and health services to those affected. To apply for the Emergency Relief Fund grant, click HERE.
Moreover, the Community Foundation is proactively implementing internal measures to continue providing donor services while appropriately responding to the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) to ensure the health and safety of its employees:
- First and foremost, to protect their team members and help to minimize the potential spreading of illness, the Community Foundation is proactively implementing a temporary work-from-home policy for employees who can do so. This measure is active as of now and until further notice to allow employees who have a compromised immune system, or have a family member who is at risk, to continuing working with minimal exposure.
- This telework solution will not interrupt any donor services provided. Community Foundation employees will remain on site during regular business hours to accept deliveries and to manage gifts/grants processes. This will allow our employees to seamlessly handle account questions, email communication, phone calls, voicemail access and other operations during regular business hours of 8am to 5pm, Monday - Friday.
- Effective immediately, all in-person Board, Committee, and other staff-led meetings will convene as online meetings instead. For donors, the Foundation is offering telephone or virtual meetings for clients who do not wish to come into the office but wish to meet. These meetings will be set up via a call-in number and a link for video conference and screen sharing.
- Lastly, the Community Foundation is currently evaluating alternate dates to host the NAVIGATE Nonprofit Networking Conference (formerly NPUHuntsville), which was recently announced for June 11, 2020. To comply with the CDC’s recommended guidelines, dates in August are being considered.
Thank you for your patience during this ever-changing situation. We recognize this is a developing situation, and we will continue to monitor recommended guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization and respond accordingly. We remain committed to this community that we are privileged to serve and want to do our part to help in this time of crisis.
About Community Foundation of Greater Huntsville
The Community Foundation of Greater Huntsville serves as a catalyst for making our great community even better through generosity. www.CommunityFoundationHSV.org